Big T got to Open His Time Capsule this Weekend.
The Boys had their last hurrah at Grandma and Grandpa’s house this weekend before they head off to school next week. We celebrated Sprat’s birthday since his actual birthday will be while he is away at school and we celebrated Bit T’s graduation once again. The hubbs and I sealed a time capsule for each of the boys when they were about two years old and set the date they would open it as their high school graduation.
Celebration and Time with Family . . .
Food, family, and fun was had by all. Mom got on my brother-in-law’s motorcycle. Now just to tell you, Mom just celebrated her 90th birthday this year and recently had hip replacement so the motorcycle thing was a big deal. Mom and Dad have always been willing to try new things and we reminisced about Dad riding my brother’s motorcycle years and years ago and going over the embankment in front of our house doing tricks. Growing up we all rode horses and I have seen both Mom and Dad thrown off horseback at one point or another. Luckily neither suffered devastating bodily injury.
How to Set Up Your Own Time Capsule. . .
We sealed each of the boys time capsules when they were about two years old. We enlisted family and friends to add things to the capsule. Sprat had an official Gerber time capsule, Big T had a make shift (mommy made) time capsule. A great time to set these up is at the child’s 1st or 2nd birthday, that way everyone is there and can add their items to the capsule. Below is a list of somethings we enclosed:
- Pokeman cards
- toys that were popular during that time
- lists of what things cost at that time
- sentimental family things
- Special Coins: non circulated coin set from the year they were born
- items they loved that first year of life
- birthday cards from their first birthday
- Sprat had some “Joe Camel” memorabilia since his great uncle worked for RJR and “Joe Camel” was no longer allowed to be used as advertisement.
- Baby pictures, pictures from their first birthday
- Both boys got one of their Granddaddy’s police patches and official police badge from his time of service.
- Big T got a very special case knife from Grandma and Grandpa
- there was a local publication that folks would put pictures of their grand kids in and Big T was in that and that was in his time capsule.
Conclusion. . .
Stay tuned we are packing both boys to go to school. More to come on how the hubbs and I will adjust to sorta empty nesting.